Project ImPACT: Hypertension
Pharmacists are in a unique position to provide education to patients with hypertension and to implement other strategies to improve adherence to lifestyle changes and medication regimens. Project ImPACT: Hypertension equips patients with unique home blood pressure monitoring devices that can wirelessly transmit readings to the pharmacy computer. This information was used by the pharmacist when assembling a complete understanding of that patient’s blood pressure control. Incorporating home blood pressure monitoring provides the pharmacist with the unique teaching opportunity of relating treatment and monitoring with patient goal setting.
The objectives of Project ImPACT: Hypertension were to:
- Assist identified patients with hypertension in achieving national treatment goals;
- Increase nutritional, exercise, and weight loss goal setting among patients with hypertension;
- Improve participant adherence to medication therapy;
- Improve patient knowledge and health satisfaction; and,
- Modify cardiovascular risk factors.