The Knowlton Center for Pharmacist-Based Health Solutions
About the Knowlton Center
The Knowlton Center for Pharmacist-Based Health Solutions was established through a pledge made by the Knowlton Foundation. The APhA Foundation Executive Fellowship in Association Management & Leadership trains individuals for leadership positions within the profession and in national, regional, state, and local professional pharmacy and/or other health-related organizations. The Foundation awards the Fellow a certificate upon satisfactory completion of the fellowship.
APhA Foundation Executive Fellowship in Association Management & Leadership
Formerly known as the Executive Residency
This post-graduate program transitioned to the term "Fellowship" in 2019 to reflect the highly individualized nature of the program and more closely align with terminology used by similar post-graduate programs in association management and leadership. Appointments begin in mid-June and terminate by June 30 of the following year.
Applications are now open!
For information on the Executive Fellowship purpose and objectives, view the 2023 Executive Fellowship flyer.
The application for the APhA Foundation Executive Fellowship in Association Management & Leadership closes December 31, 2023.
Applicants are asked to electronically submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae (CV). At minimum, the following should be included in the applicant's CV and/or cover letter:
- Contact information: Name, address, phone number, and e-mail address
- Education and training: Institutions, locations, years attended, dates of graduation, type of training or major subject, degrees, and certificates
- Professional and related experience: Institution or organization, location, dates, type of work, and position title
- Organizational memberships: Professional, honorary, service, and social
- Honors or awards received
- Personal objectives: A brief description of future goals and aspirations and why the applicant believes that the APhA Foundation Executive Fellowship will be of value
The application also requires two letters of recommendation from any of the following: a present or former employer, preceptor, college faculty, or dean. Recommenders must submit their letters directly within the ADP application portal.
The fellow will be selected by the APhA Foundation Executive Director and APhA Staff based on the following qualifications:
- The applicant will be a graduate of an Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) accredited college or school of pharmacy.
- The applicant will be recommended by present or former employers, preceptors, college faculty or dean.
- Final candidates will have a personal interview, at the candidate’s expense, at APhA Headquarters in Washington, DC.
The Executive Fellow will receive the following:
- Competitive stipend consistent with that of other pharmacy residencies and fellowships.
- Certificate in Association Management from the American Society of Association Executives (ASAE).
- Social Security withholdings through payroll deductions.
- Health and dental insurance for the Fellow. Family coverage may be obtained.
- Group term life insurance and long-term disability insurance.
- Ten days personal leave during the one-year period.
If you have any questions related to the APhA Foundation Executive Fellowship, please contact Emily Albers, Executive Fellow at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-429-7502.
Click here to view an update on where the Fellows are now.
Listing of Fellows/Residents
- 2023-2024 - Emily Albers, PharmD
- 2022-2023 - Esther Boadi, PharmD
- 2021-2022 - OLIVIA WELTER, PharmD
- 2020-2021 - JOHN LITTLE, PharmD
- 2019-2020 - MEG FREITER, PHARMD
- 2018-2019 - Rajan Vaidya, PharmD
- 2017-2018 - Jing Wu, PharmD, MPH
- 2016-2017 - Drew Register, PharmD
- 2015-2016 - Brian Donahue, PharmD
- 2014-2015 - Brian Wall, PharmD
- 2013-2014 - Ryan Burke, PharmD
- 2012-2013 - Krystalyn Weaver, PharmD, JD
Former Executive Residents
APhA/NCSPAE Executive Residents
1987-1988 Gary J. Salamido, BSPharm, MS
1987-1988 April M. Shaughnessy, BSPharm, CAE
1988-1989 Judith A. Shinogle, BSPharm, PhD, MS*
1989-1990 Thomas P. Christensen, BSPharm, JD, PhD
1990-1991 Melissa Murer Corrigan, BSPharm
1991-1992 Rev. Jeffery W. Jones
1992-1993 Jann B. Skelton, BPharm, MBA (née Hinkle)
1993-1994 Susan C. Winckler, BSPharm, JD
1994-1995 Jann B. Rigell, BSPharm, MBA
1995-1996 Kimberly N. Thornton, BSPharm
1996-1997 Michael D. Hogue, PharmD
About Calvin and Orsula Knowlton
About Drs. Calvin and Orsula Knowlton
Dr. Calvin H. Knowlton, PhD, FAPhA, MDiv, PhD and Orsula V. Knowlton, PharmD, MBA, established The Calvin and Orsula Knowlton Foundation to provide resources, such as the Knowlton Center, to develop future leaders in health care. Dr. Calvin Knowlton serves as the CEO, Chairman, and Founder of Tabula Rasa HealthCare. Dr. Orsula Knowlton serves as the Co-Founder, President, and Chief Marketing & Business Development Officer at Tabula Rasa HealthCare.