Project ImPACT: Osteoporosis
The pharmacists screened 532 patients and were able to contact 305 of these patients for follow-up interviews 3 to 6 months later.
- 70% of the 532 patients screened were at high or moderate risk for future fracture
- A total of 78% of patients indicated that they had no prior knowledge of their risk for future fracture.
- 29% of patients scheduled a physician visit after the screeningand 19% of patients were initiated on medications for preventing and treating osteoporosis due to physician referral.
- The majority of patients participating in pharmacy-based Bone Mineral Density screenings initiated medication and lifestyle changes, including diet changes, calcium and vitamin D supplementation, and performing weight bearing exercises,
- Participating pharmacies received payment for both the osteoporosis screening and the collaborative health management services.