St. Vincent de Paul Charitable Pharmacy
The Society of St. Vincent de Paul - Cincinnati (SVDP) is a network of neighbors, inspired by Gospel values, growing in holiness and building a more just world through personal relationships with and service to people in need. St. Vincent de Paul Charitable Pharmacy is one component of the Society and is dedicated to the unique mission of providing free pharmaceutical care to people in need who have no other way to access their prescription medications. The Charitable Pharmacy helps patients achieve positive health outcomes that lead to improved quality of life while also lowering healthcare costs to care for the underserved across this community. Since opening in 2006, the Charitable Pharmacy has dispensed over 717,000 free prescriptions, with a value exceeding $99MM.
Each patient receiving free prescription medications at the Charitable Pharmacy also receives clinical services to promote improved health outcomes. Through Comprehensive Medication Management (CMM) services, SVDP pharmacists conduct comprehensive medication reviews twice annually with each patient, along with routine follow up. Because of this program, patients improve medication adherence and visit the emergency room and hospital less often, preventing over $3 million in healthcare costs annually.
Underserved residents receiving care at the Charitable Pharmacy experience a holistic approach to care and professional health education. These services are provided at no charge to patients and include:
- Prescription medications with ongoing refills for acute and chronic health conditions
- Comprehensive Medication Management services by licensed pharmacists and pharmacy interns
- Primary care and point-of-care laboratory services by a licensed nurse practitioner
- Chronic disease management services, including diabetes self-management education and tobacco cessation by licensed healthcare professionals
- Screenings for social determinants of health and resource connection by patient advocates
- Health insurance application assistance by a licensed insurance navigator
"The entire team at St. Vincent de Paul Charitable Pharmacy in Cincinnati, Ohio is overjoyed to accept such a prestigious award recognizing excellence in the medication use process. We thank God for His divine intervention that brought together the right people, resources, and need to not only dispense free medications but to show positive health outcomes in an underserved population. Thank you all involved at APhA for highlighting our outcomes-based community care model on a national level!"
The APhA Foundation celebrated the 26th Annual Pinnacle Awards Program at APhA Headquarters on September 10, 2023.